I’ve been trying to make a different soup every week because it’s so much easier to have leftover soup for dinner/ lunch than to try and figure something out yourself.
I’ve been wanting to try kale because I guess it’s really healthy and junk so I decided to make this White Bean and Kale Soup. I zhushed it up a little by adding bonus vegetables therefore I renamed it Super Soup.
- 1 tbl olive or canola oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped raw kale
- 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans white beans, such as cannellini or navy, undrained (I used great northerns, chick peas, and black eyed peas [the legume, not the band])
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste (haha whenever I type NaCl I have an overwhelming urge to put watertiffy after it. Self absorbed much?)
- I added half a bag of frozen green beans and entirely too much shelled edamame (you can never have too much edamame… this is my new m.o.)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Add garlic & onion, saute until soft.
- Add kale and saute, stirring until wilted.
- add 3 cups of broth, 2 cups of beans, and all of the tomatoes, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer 5 minutes. (Simmer forever reminds me of Stick Stickly)
- In a blender or food processor, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth (I tried this step but screwed up my food processor, so it’s not so necessary). Stir into soup to thicken.
- Simmer 15 minutes. At this point I also added the bonus veggies.
- Ladle into bowl and chow down!
I added flax seed ( I put it on everything) and it tastes super good with hot sauce.